Friday, October 6, 2017

Opus Anglicanum Given new lease of life

I was asked some time ago if I would be willing to undertake the restoration of a piece of Mediaeval embroidery; the Priest who asked me knew I had trained and worked as a paintings conservator in a pre-Mummy existence, and that I now did a lot of sewing. I had little experience of Opus Anglicanum, as that was what the embroidery turned out to be, but I do know a bit about handling ancient objects, having worked in several museum conservation departments in my time, so I said I'd take it on. I have to admit I was rather more excited by the fact that Father told me it had been kept by a recusant family and may well have been worn by St Edmund Campion - a real relic, to handle with care!
English Heritage had said they would work on it for the Priest, but he was told that it would then have to be displayed in a glass case, and not worn. Father wanted to be able to still wear it on very special occasions, and although I have knowledge of conservation ethics, I still have never been a great fan of the "get everything into a museum so that it won't rot" philosophy. There's plenty in museums (and it is a wonderful job conservation departments do, to stop them rotting!) but now and again, something that was created to give glory to God, should, if possible still be used for its intended purpose, so that was my take on what I eventually have done.

This is how the Chasuble arrived, rather worn pink silk, which actually looks a lot better in the photos than it did in real life!




Father chose the fabric he wanted, originally it was to be a large Gothic style chasuble, but once the fabric arrived we decided it might be a bit overpowering, and detract from the embroidered orphrey and cross, so ultimately it was decided to make a Roman style, based on a set he already had.




I am pleased with the way it has turned out. I now just have to make a conservation standard cover for it to be kept in safely whilst not in use. I shall post more about the restoration of the orphrey later.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful! The edging makes the embroidery really stand out from the red fabric. Such nice work Mrs.D.!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely lovely. Well done indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Mrs P and Sian for your kind comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing opportunity to work with something so precious. You did such beautiful work. May God bless your hands and the priest who wears it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen,and thank you Lucy. Hope you and your loved ones are well!

      Delete
  5. You have the fingers of an angel! I have done some restoration work similar to this in the past and have designed vestments and hangings in traditional styles. I just can’t appreciate some of the modern designs I see today, and cannot imagine they will ever be treasured as these incredible works of art that you have restored. It is such worthwhile work and you have great talent and patience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy, but it is only by God's grace that I was able to do it. I would love to see examples of your work. It is such a blessing to be able to give such ancient works a lease of life.

      Delete